A trip to Quetta

We visited Quetta a couple of weeks ago. Quetta is a very cultural city, and one of the most unique places I have ever visited.Here is an essay that I wrote about Quetta.

Before visiting Quetta, I used to wonder, ‘What is Quetta like?’ When I visited Quetta, I realised that Quetta is not like any other city of Pakistan. It is a unique city, and to appreciate its beauty you must not compare it with any other place.

Quetta is the capital of the Balochistan province, and is located in North-west Pakistan. Quetta is a growing city, with a population of 1.172 million. Quetta is not very green, unlike the lush green northern areas of Pakistan. However, wildlife does exist in Quetta,-or used to, at least-but is vanishing due to the increase in urbanisation. The Chakor- a pale fawn coloured, red beaked bird species-and the Markhor; an endangered mountain goat species, are animals home to Quetta.

There are basically two types of landscapes you get to see in Quetta; mountains-of every colour, shape, and texture- and bazaars. You can literally buy anything you want to in Quetta’s bazaars-clothes, electronics, handicrafts, jewellery, food, shoes-you name it. There is a bazaar for everything.
Unlike most places, in Quetta you will find the locals wearing traditional dresses only; kurta shalwar, for men, sometimes with a waistcoat or an embroidered topi, and for women, a long balochi frock with a shalwar, which is often decorated with traditional embroidery.

The weather in Quetta is very dry-the humidity is generally twenty percent or less. Quetta has cold winter climate, but is warm in summers. Quetta experiences snowfall almost every winter.
Quetta has an exquisite cuisine. The locals like to eat a lot of meat-mostly lamb and mutton-and so Quetta is a meat-lover’s paradise. The kahwa (herbal tea) is a common beverage in Quetta. It has a unique flavour and is usually served sweet.

The handmade ice creams you get to eat in Quetta are also incredibly delicious. They have a distinctive milky taste, and they taste way better than company-manufactured ice creams. Also, the traditional kulfis made here-and sold in the backs of cars-are also scrumptious. Sometimes topped with condensed milk and almonds, these kulfis are made from milk and nuts. They are sold only during the summer season, and are a great relief from the heat. Also, unlike the rest of Pakistan, in Quetta you can buy a kulfi from any kulfi seller and it will be delicious, I guarantee you. All kulfi sellers here sell the same quality kulfi.


In the end, I must say that Quetta is a wonderful city, and definitely a place worth visiting.

Comments

  1. Wow, this is an excellent essay you've written on Quetta; it really makes me want to visit it! There must be so many beautiful places to visit in Pakistan... I'd love to visit some day. ^^ Quetta also sounds like a really unique city and it's nice to hear that they've kept their great traditions there! I really like the way you've gone from a rhetorical question you asked yourself before going, into a detailed analysis of the environment there (kind of like "before" and "after")! Mountains of every colour you say? That sounds amazing! I've only ever seen the classic sort... sandy or grey I think? I have heard of colourful mountains though! :D Oh my, this is the sort of place I'd love to get my camera out to take photographs all day haha! Bazaar is the Pakistani word for market isn't it? (In Morocco they call them "souks" and the description you've given sounds just like it! Although probably not quite since as you've mentioned Quetta is a whole new city. But I love those sorts of markets!) The ice creams sound so delicious! I agree with you, manufactured ice creams don't taste quite as nice as homemade/traditional ice cream. :/ But I'm guessing they have a completely unique taste in Quetta! By the sounds of it, Quetta must be a very relaxing, in-the-quiet, nostalgic place! It also sounds very intriguing too... I'll look up about it! :D Do a lot of tourists visit? (I think they should!)

    You've written this so beautifully too, I always love your style of writing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks a lot! Yeah Quetta is a great city-you must visit it if you ever visit Pakistan! XD Yeah there are pretty unique mountains there(by every colour I mean that some are reddish, some have a greenish tinge, others are white(there are no purple or orange mountains though!)). Yep, bazaar is Urdu for market(yeah they call market souq/souk in Arabic).
      Thanks again-I really love your comments!

      Delete
    2. Reply me also

      Delete
  2. I SO want to go to Quetta now. Although I have an experience of bazaars, I want to see the wildlife and, of course, I love kulfi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long it is

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. Thanks for sharing the valuable information. it’s really helpful. Who want to learn this blog most helpful. Keep sharing on updated posts.
    Tour Packages in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice exprience about quetta.
    On thursday 14 Jan 2021 I also went for quetta there was very cold with teachers and friends

    ReplyDelete
  6. quetta is very nice place i live in quetta city

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should exploria hunza vally as well as it one of most visited place in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment