What schools actually teach kids

What do schools teach kids? A typical answer would be; science, math, languages, history, etc… I don’t quite agree. With my limited experience of schooling, here’s what I think schools teach kids:

      1.      How to be mean to themselves

When a child enters the school building for the first time, he has a strong sense of self worth – he respects himself and demands to be respected by others as well. But by the time he reaches primary school, he no longer has any self-respect left in him.  He listens to people humiliating him, reprimanding him, blaming him for things he never did, scolding him for being too intelligent, that he stops standing up for himself. In fact, now he’s part of the gang who is insulting him and telling him he’s worthless. He curses himself all the time; for speaking up in class, for being too cheeky, for being himself.  


       2.      How to be mean to others

In schools, people are so often mean to kids - and kids to themselves - that they come to think, “Oh, it’s okay to be mean to people”.  It is an everyday sight in a school classroom to see kids making fun of other kids, laughing at their mistakes, or even bullying them. For them, it’s normal.  Often you will see older kids picking at younger ones, calling them kindergarten babies, or physically stronger kids bullying weaker ones.  It’s because they have seen older people bugging younger people so often that they’re no longer sensitive to it. As the famous sentence goes; ‘Hurt people hurt people’.


       3.      How to be ‘like everybody else’

Schools want all children to be exactly alike – they make all of them wear uniforms, make all of them write in cursive, make sure all of them are on the same level (nobody should be lagging behind or standing out from the rest).

In school children – those who have been in the system long enough to be tamed – I see this raging desire to be exactly like the rest. You’ll observe that if one child paints a flower in art class, in seconds, the entire class will be painting flowers. If one child says his mom is his favourite person, the next child will also want to say that his mom is also his favorite person (even if she isn’t really). I think it’s the school’s expectation from the kids to be uniform which makes them act so much alike.
As they grow up into teenagers, this desire of wanting to be ‘like everybody else’ usually transforms into wanting to dress like, or have the same thing as the rest of their class.


       4.      How to hate their mother tongue*

In schools where, children are made to speak in a foreign language (English, in Karachi), they are usually given the message that speaking your mother tongue is disgraceful and should be avoided. Kids who speak in Urdu are scolded by the teacher and are considered dishonourable by the rest of the class.

In some cases, students are not even allowed to talk in Urdu to each other or during recess. Implicitly, schools teach kids to look down upon their language. Often people who are sent to English-medium schools grow up as adults who frown at anyone who speaks to them in Urdu and consider speaking in their own language disgraceful.

*in the typical Pakistani context


       5.      How to do what the teacher says, and nothing else

Children are born as independent learners with a natural instinct to explore, discover, and invent, and are immensely curious about everything around them. However, schools; in the process of ‘education’ rob them off their ability to learn by themselves. They are tamed – like lions in a circus – until they do only what the ringmaster (or the teacher, in the classroom scenario) tells them to.

I remember one incident when I was astonished by how school kids don’t do anything unless instructed by a teacher.  It was during a workshop my sister was conducting for kids – when it was time for break she told them they could go outside and have something to eat. No one moved from their seats. She repeated what she had said, no one moved again. Then my dad came up, told them to close their notebooks, stand up, make a line, and go outside for their break. The kids then went outside, having received proper instructions to do so. I was astounded!


Although people may not agree, I think this is what kids learn from schools – although schools may have been trying to teach something entirely different to them!


Comments

  1. really true. That is why I am also doing HOME-SCHOOLING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Nice to know that you are also a homeschooler. :)

      Delete
  2. TRUE through and through. Zainab, please check out my blog. It's called my sweet story dunya. ( Plus, I am a homeschooler too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zainab can you post more often? I understand if you are busy with exams or something, but please try to post as often as you can. ( I LOVE reading your posts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do try to post as often as I can and I'll try to post more often but it isn't really possible for me to post more than twice a month owing to my busy routine but you can read my older posts on this blog(they are over a hundred!) OR posts on my art and photography blogs. :)

      Delete
    2. All right. I changed my profile. So please visit my blog!

      Delete
  4. You changed your blog background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the direct tone of this write-up, it's much needed, especially from the mouth of a child.Great work in engaging readers to reflect on very important aspects of the current formal education system. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I KNOW what you are saying is true. SO true.

    That is just why I am doing home schooling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very helpful articles! To get some help with your online business, reach us at Reliable Movers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the blue and pink background Zainab!

    But the brown one is still nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't agree more! While reading this article I couldn't help but reflect back on the past when I was back in primary school - these situations relate so much to those I witnessed before! (Especially since I was always the outsider who was picked on a lot of the time just for being different and wanting to stand out independently from the crowd.)
    You've described each listed point excellently and made a perfect criticism for the methods in which schools teach! Since being home-educated, myself, and adapting to more flexible routines I've always thought exactly the same... I mean, what's the point of school if 90% of the time the rules focus on their strict fundamentals rather than the true essence of education and its fun potential experiences? It's great how you've illustrated each concept with relatable real-life scenarios!
    Point 3, "How to be 'like everybody else'" is absolutely true; I couldn't have said it better. (One example I recall, which fits in perfectly here, was one time when the classes in my school had to line up after break, as we always did, and the teacher in the year below us blamed me for being literally an inch off the line... her commands were always so soldier-like! >.<) The situation you've described there about the students copying each other (like with painting the same picture) mirrors countless I've seen as well! You're absolutely right; it's the roots to the character they'll grow up to be when they become teens... that constant desire to have the latest iPhone like their peers, mimicking the latest trending fashion style because everyone else is, etc..
    Point 4 is very interesting for me since I'm not too familiar with contexts outside of the UK, where here, the school system is notorious for being lazy in teaching languages (as a consequence, a lot of the population where I am only know how to speak English believe it or not!). However, I have heard cases like this where the new generation don't wish to speak their native language and it's just sad. (Also, unrelated I suppose but, English is only a relatively new language, simply a huge jumble of other languages... so really, it's not that grand is it?) The way those teachers treat their students in those types of schools is really unfair! (It reminds me of when I heard that where my cousins are, in Morocco, the new generation are forgetting how to speak Amazigh, which is the traditional language dating centuries back, because schools there simply force everyone to speak classic Arabic).
    The last point you made really surprised me with the situation you witnessed there! This concept is so unbelievable, the way they are taught to obey the teacher and the teacher only (like the ringmaster and the lions as you described perfectly there). The thing that's just as strange is that while children obey their teachers, they don't tend to listen to their parents (or at least in my environment). There's something about a teacher's strict charm that snaps their attention, or society's influence upon these students that's resulting in this behaviour.

    The topic you have presented and discussed here is really intriguing, Zainab, and it fascinates me how society in Pakistan is very similar to the UK in today's society. I'd love to see you demonstrate more issues like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed reading this! xD btw I really appreciate how you are taking out the time to comment on all my posts, even ones I posted quite a long time ago! :)
      Actually most people here in Pakistan (and in the subcontinent) are pretty impressed by westerners and western ideas so they give more importance to teaching English instead of Urdu, the national language or other regional languages. It is also a common perception that English is an 'international' language and it is essential for kids to know English or they'd have difficulty talking to people if they go abroad for higher studies; whereas I've heard that in some European countries people will only talk to you if you talk to them in their national language. It seems like English isn't so international after all. ;) It is SO saddening to here that something similar happens in Morocco...languages are rapidly going extinct all over the world simply because people no longer speak them. :(
      I totally agree, children tend to obey their teachers more than they obey their parents (which is also something religion teaches us to do)...although I think kids simply listen to their teachers because they just don't have the choice NOT to do so! ;P
      Thanks once again for your lovely comment!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment