Kashmir and Karachi - Thoughts upon returning from Neelum Valley

Welcome back readers and Eid Mubarak! I can't believe this is my second post in 2018 and more than half the year has flown by...I am extremely sorry for not being able to post anything (I was busy with stuff) but I'll try to post more regularly from now on. :)

This post is just some reflections upon returning to my home-city Karachi after a trip to Sharda (Neelum Valley, Azad Kashmir). Kashmir is such a wonderful place..I was awed by the beauty and serenity of the atmosphere. We got ample opportunities to explore the place as well as to interact with the locals and, in short, had lots of fun. :)
-----
I glance out of the cab’s windscreen. I squint. How come are we not surrounded by mountains? I wonder. Then it strikes me: of course. We are in Karachi, and there are no mountains in Karachi.
As our cab hits the roads, we are surrounded by cars, people, traffic, lights (Karachi isn’t called the city of lights for no reason), billboards and visual pollution. Shops are bustling with people doing their final Eid shopping and preparations. The sky is a orange-ish mauve hue owing to smoke and air pollution and there are no stars. I think of the deep blue Neelum sky which would light up with stars on cloudless nights. All of a sudden, I wish I lived in Kashmir instead of Karachi.
There is a sense of urgency in the air – everyone seems to be in a hurry. Impatient drivers honk their horns at whoever happens to be driving at a slower speed. In my mind’s eye, I picture young Kashmiri girls who are seldom in a hurry, no matter how many cows they have to bring back home before dusk.
On the footpath sits a woman with her two little children, her hands outstreched. No one seems to notice her. In Kashmir, there was no such concept – the financially well-off would always help the poorer families, no matter what. As a native told us, those who own cattle and goats in his village share the milk with those who don’t have livestock. As a result, you would rarely spot a beggar on Kashmir’s streets, despite the fact that the average annual income of Kashmiri villagers is quite lower than that of us urban-dwellers. In Neelum, you could not walk a kilometer without meeting a local who would invite you to her home for dinner, whereas in Karachi, no one emphasizes for the millions who go to sleep hungry each night.
In my neighbourhood, very few people know each other. I myself have never met the family who lives next door - while Azam Shah, a resident of Sharda, says he knows everyone in the district, all the way up to Taobat; a village located almost sixty-two kilometers away.
Villages in Kashmir are extremely close-knit. People are used to treating friends, neighbours and fellow villagers like close family. Yasir, a Kashmiri fifth-grader, said about the local fisherman-cum sailor:‘Woh tou mera mamoon hai’ (he is my maternal uncle). Shah jee, the fisherman, was no relative to him, but the kids there are used to calling their elders khala (auntie) or chacha (uncle). One doesn’t have to be your father’s elder brother for you to call him taya jee (uncle) in Kashmir.
---

Hope you enjoyed reading this! Please don't forget to comment!
And stay tuned, because I'll be posting more stuff soon... :)

Comments

  1. Bitter truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an insightful read! I was really drawn in to the way you described the comparisons between Kashmir and Karachi, villages and city, and put the reader in your shoes, revealing exactly what it means to return from a friendly, hospitable place to a more reserved one. It's something us readers can relate to as well; that downcast feeling after returning from a wonderful place and then all of a sudden coming face to face with your hometown and the flaws compared to your holiday destination. ^^; I really like the way you've added certain implications in this piece, like the fact that there's more pollution in the city and people aren't so giving, compared to life in the country where everyone helps one another. This particular line, "In my mind’s eye, I picture young Kashmiri girls who are seldom in a hurry, no matter how many cows they have to bring back home before dusk." is full of impact as it draws attention to how collected and composed the Kashmiri girls are despite the daily adversities they must face. The examples you've included with their convincing emphasis are all really well described! This is a very truthful passage as I personally recall very similar instances when visiting the country and then returning to a city/town where people are much further apart and less family-like. It's so intriguing how a town can be small and yet the inhabitants are so close to each other and then a city, which is much larger, has, in fact, less connections between people! I guess it's because in the country people share common interests and are able to focus on those around them more. How was your holiday overall? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) It was fascinating to see how the quality of life of people in the country was so much better than us who live in the city, despite the fact that their lifestyle was quite simple and empty of luxuries. The people there were definitely more kind, more helpful, more friendly, and above all, more happy than any of us living in urban areas. :)
      The holiday was amazing! It was quite an enriched learning experience for us and we got to walk a lot as we explored most of Sharda on our feet. The weather there was also alot more pleasant than the hot Karachi climate. And we definitely enjoyed a lot! xD

      Delete
    2. That's often the case! Living in the countryside is so much more relaxing and stress-free than in a busy city I guess. Wow it sure does sound good. xD Great you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. I can see that you have a very vivid imagination, not only that, everyone has a different point of view in their imagination and you seem to focus more on emotions and feelings in your imagination more than the imagery. That is the kind of imagination empathetic people have. I could feel a sense of pity for us "Urban-dwellers" while reading this.
    Although I feel a need to have more on this topic from you, I would love if you could write all your observations of that tour (if you haven't already). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! :) I haven't written down all of my experiences on that trip but most of the interesting encounters with the locals and my observations are already there in this piece.

      Delete

Post a Comment