Poem: Men in a herd

This was a poem I wrote for an online poetry course I completed a couple of months ago on Coursera, called Sharpened Visions: A Poetry Workshop offered by CalArts (California Institute of the Arts). I must say it was a wonderful course. I learned a lot from it and I would really recommend any poetry enthusiasts reading this to enroll...this is one course you won't regret joining! :)

Anyways, so this poem was one I wrote in response to a prompt for a conceit. The prompt was called 'You Are So Conceited: When A Metaphor Isn't Tough Enough'. A conceit is basically when you write up a comparison between two totally different subjects and is a kind of extended metaphor. 
I chose to write a comparison between men and sheep, and in my poem tried to highlight how similar they both are in the way they choose to walk in a herd and follow the rest of their kind instead of thinking for themselves. (Later on, however, I realized that this comparison was too simple, hehe ;P)

Even though I studied lots of different types of meter, this poem doesn't follow any. But I do think it sounds poetic and each stanza has seven lines (well, that was almost a coincidence). Anyway, the meters thing still seems appealing to me, and I will write an Iambic Pentameter someday, Insha Allah. :)
So here's the poem I wrote. Credit goes to other course students who helped me improve the poem by workshopping it (the course was basically a poetry workshop, in which students were required to submit their poems for review by fellow students and give feedback to fellow students on their poems, and revise their poems based on the feedback they received.).This poem would have definitely been impossible without the feedback students from the course gave me. :)

----
MEN IN A HERD


One
before
the
other –
Like beads in a rosary,
They follow each other –
in an unending, perpetual cycle


like sheep in a herd,
each walks behind
the other,
none risking to deviate;
none daring to wonder;
where exactly this journey will lead
them to


Each hopes for greener pastures,
with sweeter grass and
brighter sun
but none is sure
exactly where
this trek will
lead them to


like men
who do not know
where they are headed for,
for they are only
just
following
the crowd.

Comments

  1. I just wanted to say that I haven't forgotten other people's blogs and I will definitely get around to commenting on them too (soon, hopefully) Insha Allah! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma-sha-Allah, may Allah bless you. Please keep it up and shake the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Aap ka comment karna hee aizaz ki baat hai. Lol. :D

      Delete
  4. Waah bhae zabardast! MashaAllah. You are already touching larger themes in your writings. Keep doing it because I can see in you an important voice for the society. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your final piece for the workshop is really beautifully written Zainab! The conceit you chose is really intriguing and highlights how astonishingly similar these two subjects are despite being completely different.
    The poem's opening is so unique in that it opens up with just a few words on each line to lengthier sentences in between and then wraps up using those shorter lines again, as if trickling away. This technique has such a beautiful rhythm of opening and closing, almost as if you're stepping into this vision in a brief yet impactful moment. I really like the truthful repetition in "none risking to deviate; none daring to wonder", describing the uncanny resemblance between the acts of humanity and sheep. The slow rhythm makes us as a reader feel as if we're also present, walking on this path, making us realise that what may be a strange comparison is in fact very realistic.

    This Coursera workshop sounds great! Will you be sharing more? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kenza for your lovely long comment! :D
      I don't intend to post any other poems I wrote based on prompts from that course, but I did post some poetry in the past (in September 2017, actually; in a post titled 'Poetry Dump') which included pieces I wrote while attending it. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment