Book Review: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To Kill a Mockingbird is a famous American classic, and although I had heard about it several times before and it had been lying on my bedroom bookshelf for more than a couple of years now, I happened to read it only last week. Although I had opened the book a few times previously as well with the intention of reading it; the beginning didn't seem very hooking, so I didn't feel motivated to continue.
But - quite contrary to my expectations - when I read it, I discovered that the book was 'my type', and quite interesting. (I was suffering from a terrible toothache then, and while reading this book I was actually able to distract myself from the pain!) The day I finished reading it, I decided that this was one book that deserved to be reviewed (and also that I had to get my hands on its sequel, Go Set a Watchman). So here is the review I wrote. :)

----

Book: To Kill a Mockingbird

Author: Harper Lee
Length: 281 pages
Publisher: Warner Books
Year of Publication: 1960
ISBN: 0-446-31078-6

The story - set in the 1930s, in the state of Alabama, USA, and coinciding with the Great Depression - is narrated by six-year-old Scout (Jean Lousie Finch) who lives with her elder brother Jem, (Jeremy Finch) and father Atticus in Maycomb County. Their mother died when the children were very young, and they are raised by their father - who, although a lawyer by profession; shares a close bond with his children - as well as their black housekeeper, Calpurnia and the neighbours.
The story covers a timespan of three years, and shows the children growing up and making sense of the complicated world around them. In the beginning of the book, they befriend a boy named Dill Harris, who is about the same age as Scout and a nephew of their neighbor Miss Rachel, whom he comes to stay with each summer. Jem and Scout - joined by Dill in their adventures during summer - spend most of their childhood exploring the neighbourhood; chatting with the friendly Miss Maudie Atkinson, wondering why one of their neighbours, Arthur Radley (nicknamed Boo) always stays inside his house and attempting to make him come out, acting out stories and playing games. Almost midway into the book, the children learn about a case their father, Atticus, is fighting in court, in favour of a black man accused of raping a young white girl. As the children attend a court hearing and have discussions with Atticus about the case, the story explores race and caste; love and hatred; from the eyes of two innocent young children.

The book - although it uses rich vocabulary - is written from a child’s intellectual level and like other stories narrated by children, says a lot about child psychology; and in some ways is an exploration of how society thinks and behaves. As Scout and Jem develop an understanding of their surroundings, the story opens new viewpoints. Among the dialogues between Scout and her brother, this statement by Jem was one I found pretty intriguing: ‘“That’s what I thought, too,” he said at last, “when I was your age. If there’s just one kind of folks, why can’t they get along with each other? If they’re all alike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other? Scout, I think I’m beginning to understand something. I think I’m beginning to understand why Boo Radley’s stayed shut up in the house all this time...it’s because he wants to stay inside.”
The book could, of course, be categorized as a Coming-of-Age Fiction, as it shows Jem outgrowing childish games and Scout growing up to become less rowdy and more mature and ladylike; but in my opinion there is actually a lot more to the story than just that.

The language of the book is very intense and emotional and the vivid descriptions bring to life a rich imagination of the characters. While reading the book, I could imagine myself as Scout and was able to relate with her feelings and thoughts, which is a sure sign of the success of any story. Finished up with just the right amount of mystery and humour, the book was quite gripping. I would really recommend it to others looking for a piece of interesting, meaningful fiction; this book is definitely worth reading and is famous for a reason!

Comments

  1. Oh wow, this was such an intriguing review to read! I've always heard of To Kill a Mockingbird (it certainly is a famous novel) but had no idea what it was about. This review is a great eye-opener and now I'm even convinced I must read it myself! This seems to me a very original book, especially since you mentioned it's narrated from the perspective of a 6 year old - often authors overestimate the learning capability of young children but here I can tell this isn't the case. It's also interesting to hear that it has a great part in child psychology and society; not a lot of books commonly cover these themes! All in all, I love how you kept this review simple yet gripping for those who have not read the book yet and the quote you included gives us a great insight into the story and its writing style as well. I must say you're super good at writing a genuine and exciting review without spoiling any major plot details! How's the sequel? ;)

    (Hey Zainab, how are you? Long time no speak; I missed you! I'm so sorry I've been inactive here on Blogger - I kept meaning to come back a couple of months ago but I've been both really busy with my A levels and preparing for uni... Anyway, I'll try to make more comebacks on here before summer. I definitely intend on being active again - don't think I've left! xD)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the comment! :) It means a lot coming from you - you write wonderful book reviews yourself! <3
    The sequel was okay but not better than 'To Kill a Mockingbird', I guess. :D It is more realistic, though,  as it shows the perspective of a twenty-six year old Scout but I also found it to be slightly dystopian...I wouldn't recommend it, it destroyed the world of fantasy I developed from reading Mockingbird (a bit similar to the way a movie adaptation of a book destroys the imaginations one develops from reading the book itself, if you get what I mean).

    I'm good, how about you? I've really missed you and the other handful of bloggers that make up our tiny community here on Blogger! (I've also been wondering about whether vlogging will overtake blogging in the near future and also if the next thing Google plans to shut down after G+ is going to be Blogger...) Anyhow, it feels great to know that you haven't left...I really miss your awesome posts and will be looking forward to reading them soon (I hope)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! :D Ah I see... well, I better read the first book then! :) You're right.
      I'm great thanks and same here! We should really revive our small Blogger community haha. Hopefully not! I for one would not be a good vlogger. x'D Oh no, I don't plan on leaving Blogger without notice! There's still a lot I plan on doing on here. Aww thanks! <3 (but please don't feel obliged!!)

      Delete
  3. Hello Zainab,

    Thank you for writing this review for the world :) Reading it brought back so many memories for me. I think I was around 19 years of age when I read this book and quite honestly it took me a few chapters to finally start making sense of it. But when I did, it changed my understanding of racial discrimination and I think that was the first time (however late) I truly saw the world from an eye different than my own.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment