Short Story: The Aunt from Canada

Hello. Here's a story that I wrote. :) It has been inspired by some of my own life experiences and feelings about them, which is also why the narrator bears some resemblance to myself (it wasn't intentional).

----

"Sannaaaa!" Ammi called from the kitchen. Reluctantly, I put down the book I was reading and went up to her to hear what she had to say.

"Put on fresh clothes. Your phuphi is coming to visit." I was instructed. I frowned. "Samra phuphi?" "No, your other aunt -" she said, pausing to taste the kababs she was making. I racked my brain. As far as I could think of, I had only one phuphi, one who came over almost every weekend with her two sons who would mess up the whole house each time they visited.
"Which phuphi??" I asked, perplexed. "Sameena phuphi, your father's other sister. The one who lives in Canada. Remember?" I recalled. Yes, I did have another aunt whom Abbu sometimes mentioned when he talked about The Good Old Days. The only time I had seen her was when I was a little baby. I had no memories of her.

Intrigued, I wanted to know more. "Does she have any kids?" "Yes, I think so. A daughter. She must be about your age…" she trailed off again, adding more salt to the kabab mixture she was tending to. "Now stop asking questions and go change your clothes," she said in an irritated tone. "They'll be here anytime now!"

***

I stepped outside the bedroom that I shared with my two brothers, having changed my clothes and brushed my hair. Ammi was nowhere to be seen in the kitchen. The drawing room door was closed. I wondered whether the guests had arrived and whether or not I was supposed to go inside. Just then, the door opened and Ammi emerged. "Sana, your auntie and her family are here. Go inside and greet them," she told me as she headed towards the kitchen, this time to fry the kababs I suppose.

Nervously, I opened the door and walked in. The drawing room felt cool and pleasant with the air conditioner turned on - which was a rarity in our household and was turned on only for 'special guests'. The air smelt strongly of perfume. Seated on the sofa was a tall lady with short hair, clad in decorative clothes. She was wearing a lot of make-up, I noticed, which made her look artificial.
"Zaheer, is this your daughter?!" The woman asked as she eyed me. My father nodded in the affirmative. The lady in question spoke with a lilting english accent. Hearing her talk felt strange to the ears - when she opened her mouth to say something one expected English to flow out but instead she spoke in Urdu - the familiar words dressed up in her somewhat exotic accent. Shyly, I walked up to her and shook her hand. "My, you've grown so much!" she exclaimed. It was not a question but I nodded anyway, unsure as to how I was supposed to react. I could never understand why adults deemed it so necessary to say this. Did they really expect us to stop growing just because it had been awhile since they last saw us?
"How old is she?" she asked, turning towards my father. "Eleven years old." He replied. "Same as Meesha. Sana, did you meet your cousin?"

It was then that I saw her daughter who - although she was sitting right next to her mother, I had somehow not noticed before. I smiled at her. Her face remained blank, indifferent. I sat down on the sofa next to her, wondering what to say.
“Do you like to read?” I finally managed to ask. “Meesha doesn’t speak any Urdu,” her mother spoke up, noticing my discomfort. I nodded, unsure what to do, feeling even more uncomfortable. Trying to strike up a conversation in English would be futile; my English being broken and hers almost certainly perfect, with a flawless accent. I didn’t want to look like a dolt in a room full of strangers.

I planted myself on the sofa, listening to the adults talk. There didn’t seem to be much meaning to what they said. After Abbu was done with inquiring about the well-being of all of his relatives living in Canada, near and far; and his sister had finished asking about all those living in Pakistan, as well as the ones which had passed away, an awkward silence seemed to hang over the room, like heavy rain clouds. For a while I just sat there, bored with all these people around me who were supposed to be like family; the aunt I had never met before, the cousin who spoke no Urdu, and the uncle who looked friendly but had nothing to say to me. The silence in the room was deafening. I waited for someone to say something - anything - to talk to each other, to laugh, joke or even to chatter aimlessly. Then I stood up from where I was sitting and walked out of the room, there being nothing else to do.

----
P.S: It's been quite a while since I last posted. :( Sorry about that. Will try to maintain a more stable posting frequency in the upcoming months, Insha-Allah (which isn't easy, as I don't produce pieces of writing as efficiently as I would like to). Any feedback and ideas for future stories in the comments would be appreciated. :)

Comments

  1. A great read! The theme you have going on here is very compelling: an aunt visiting whom the protagonist, Sana, has never met before and her feelings both before and after her visit. It's intriguing how, at first, Sana seems excited for the event, but these emotions soon melt away when she finds that the reality of her aunt's family are completely unlike her expectations. The beginning is super ironic too! Her surprise and curiosity after learning about the aunt she can't even remember who lives far away in Canada... and clearly turns out to be completely unlike the aunt who visits her more often. (I really like how you use terms in Urdu, btw, it's really interesting... it sort of gets you into the feel of Pakistan. :)) Sana's feelings are super relatable too; her observations really grab our empathy for her - like "an awkward silence seemed to hang over the room, like heavy rain clouds". It's not the sort of enjoyable family visit that the protagonist would be used to; rather she feels as though it's an obligation for her to stay there. The rarity of the air conditioner being turned on is also hilarious - I think we've all been there; noticing something being used only when the guests come. xD This was a really enjoyable story Zainab! Looking forward to you posting more. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your lovely comment! :D Also wanted to say that I haven't forgotten your blog, will definitely get around to commenting on your new posts soon, InshaAllah! :)

      Delete
    2. You're most welcome! And oh no don't feel obliged at all! If you have something to say, then great, but otherwise just reading my posts is more than enough to delight me. ;)

      Delete
  2. Masha Allah! Very nice story Zainab!
    "Good old days" brings back so many memories - very touching and deep. Keep posting dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. of course why wont it be ? please also comment on my blog Aminahs Anything Crafts.

      Delete
  4. "Will try to maintain a more stable posting frequency in the upcoming months, Insha-Allah"
    I don't see you these days on your blog? And don't worry about "producing efficient pieces of writing"! Nobody's here to judge, we enjoy reading your posts in this blog, forget about the efficient pieces of writing. Just write anything, literally anything. We would love to see you back in your blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi zainab i am very inspired by your writings so i also wrote a fiction story and i have a blog too please write a comment in my blog too i will also reply my blogs name is AMINAHS ANYTHING CRAFTS. please reply today and write the comment today too i also came to the place where you live alot of times my brother is a friend of your brothers and osama uncles sons.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment