A letter published!

My letter was recently published in  Dawn's 'Young World', A magazine for children. Before I share it with you, let me tell you that I do not really like Young World, and the quality of articles published in it. But this article, "Do Students Need Mobile Phones" by Muhammad Yawar Shirazi published Nov 28, 2015(this letter can be found at dawn.com), was different. It was the first good article I ever read in the magazine so I decided to write a letter. Fortunately, it was published.

This is the letter I wrote(emailed)to Young World:
This is regarding the letter 'Do Students need mobile phones?' by Muhammad Yawar Shirazi (YW,Nov 28). The article was written very well and described the insignificance and disadvantages of mobile phones for students. I agree with the writer that mobiles are not meant for children. Mobile phones prevent children from doing other healthy activities.
It is my request for YW to publish more useful stuff like this.
Zainab Salman,
Karachi

And this is what they published:
This is regarding the letter 'Do Students need mobile phones?' by Muhammad Yawar Shirazi (YW,November 28,2015). The article was well-written and described the role of mobile phones in a student's life. I agree with the writer that mobiles are not meant for children as keeping mobile phones prevent them from childrn from doing healthy activities. Instead they get engaged in games and on social networking apps.
It is my request for YW to publish more useful articles because they teach children about what it is right and wrong.
Zainab Salman,
Karachi

I don't understand the need to edit it so much. If it was because of space, well, they have lengthened the letter instead of shortening it. 

Comments

  1. Really?? You got published! That's SO cool! Congrats! :D
    You're right too! People with mobile phones need to balance their time with other activities too. It's a shame that games they play on mobiles are taking over games that used to be played (such as chess) and texting is invading the real way of communication, sending letters. :/
    Hm, it does seem like they edited it a lot and didn't publish it word for word. XD I don't agree with that either. :P Maybe they didn't like the word "stuff"? But then it looks like *they* added the word "get" (which here in England they say is a word to avoid in literature, apparently...) How weird! :/
    Nice work! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yeah, the editing they have done is totally weird! X)
      My mom pointed it out to me too, that the word 'stuff' is not usually used in formal writing. But there is no sense for why they added 'get'.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome!
      Yeah! Agreed. XD

      Delete

Post a Comment