List poem: Just because we're young

I can't believe how easy writing list poems is- you can have so much fun with them. I made this one up less than a week ago when I was furious about being underestimated by everyone just because I'm young. Then I came up with this. The words were rushing into my brain so fast that I didn't even bother to take out a notebook and just scribbled what was coming into my mind onto the writing board.

Just because we're young

Just because we're young we're underestimated
and called little pests
Just because we're young we can't be trusted
Just because we're young we're called immature
Just because we're young we can't drive
Just because we're young we get yelled at
and scolded for no reason at all
Just because we're young we can't vote
Just because we're young our opinion doesn't matter
Just because we're young we aren't taken seriously
Just because we're young we don't count
Just because we're young they school us
and teach us, and test us even fail us
Just because we're young we get laughed at
Just because we're young we're held back
from doing what we believe is correct
Just because we're young we're called stupid
Just because we're young we're told
that we can't change the world
and just because we're young they don't understand
that we're no weaker, no dumber, not at all less capable
than the rest of them.
Just because we're young...

Comments

  1. I see what you're saying there about how writing list poems is so fun... It sounds like a much more relaxed, laid-back activity to do than rummaging around in your mind for the perfect vocabulary and effective rhythms in other types of poetry! What you've also mentioned there about the words rushing into your brain is very relatable because that happens to me when I'm writing sometimes too! xD I read in a writing tutorial book that it's actually a very good idea to write down your ideas as they come to you because as the book stated, ideas are very strange creatures that are around for only a fleeting moment and easily disappear if you don't play with them as they come to you.

    I love the product you've come up with too, it's something us youngsters can relate to in our daily lives! And it's interesting how each idea chains on from the other, like how you mentioned "we can't vote", to you moving on to mention that "our opinion doesn't matter" - is making a chain of linking thoughts the main purpose of a list poem? :) All in all, this is a really intriguing poem you've written and made so by the way you wrote this as soon as the concept came to mind! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks, Kenza!
      Yeah list poems are much more easy to come up with than typical poetry - also it seems more natural rather than deliberate - I don't think up of a list poem; rather, it comes to me(i love that feeling)!

      Thanks once again, Kenza - I love your comments! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment