List poem: Sadness

Hi guys! I'm so sorry I couldn't post here for so long- let me see... I'm posting after more than seventy days!!! That's quite a lot. I was really busy with stuff like business and things and then there was Ramadan and well- I sort of got writer's block after that, but now its over so I'm here with one of my first catalogue/list poems.
I was attending this five-day workshop at the British Council library called 'Spoken word and Language Skills' (with Spoken Stage)and there they taught us how to write a catalogue or list poem. The idea is very simple-you just have to write a list, without worrying about beats and rhythm and syllables and everything. This is the second list poem I wrote-and read aloud- at the workshop.
So, here goes:

Sadness
Sadness is friends not turning up at twelve (even though they said they would)
Sadness is not being able to post on my blog for too long
Sadness is the ice cream cone that fell from my hands even before I took my first lick
Sadness is knowing that someone you cared about is moving abroad
Sadness is writing letters to the editor and not getting published
Sadness is discovering that your best pen just got lost
Sadness is getting a one-liner reply to a very long email
Sadness is Google Chrome not responding
Sadness is being sent out of the room because the adults wanted to have a private discussion
Sadness is finding no cookies in the cookie jar
Sadness is being underestimated

Let me know what you think in the comments below!

Comments

  1. Yay you're back!! (I meant to comment on your posts earlier too, I'm super sorry I didn't!)

    This poem is really interesting! I love the unique structure of it, the way you weren't pressured to add beats, rhythms, syllables and so on to make it sound poetic. It's very relatable and shows us all the varying items that make up different parts of sadness! Did some of these things happen to you (like the ice cream cone falling) or did you make up some of these relatable scenarios? I really feel the "getting a one-liner reply to a very long email"! xD
    If I were to add to this, I'd write "Sadness is having to put up with Internet Explorer because your tablet won't accept Chrome" ... LOL only kidding! 8D Okay, I'll be honest: "Sadness is using up your favourite art supplies", "Sadness is returning from a fantastic day out", "Sadness is missing that great opportunity for a great photographic shot" "Sadness is when you forget the amazing idea you had for your writings". Coming up with my own thoughts makes me realise that this must have been a super fun activity! How did the workshop go overall?
    Seventy days of not posting here is quite a lot... and it reflects the second line you wrote there! I'm guessing the business is for Clayholds? :D I'll be sure to comment on your new posts too! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kenza! :D Yeah almost all of these have happened to me - some are regular experiences(like the empty cookie jar XD and the one-liner email replies and Google not responding :/).
      Yeah the activity was great and the workshop was overall very good(most of the activities were free writing exercises but we also had a couple of opportunities for performances and you could also read your work aloud to everyone if you wanted to.)
      Yeah seventy days is quite a lot :( I guess I had a very long writer's block! And yeah, the business is Clayholds

      Delete
  2. The fourth example of sadness has happened to me, although I don't wish to talk about it. (sniff sniff)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment