List poem: I draw

Hey guys, I'm back with another list poem! This one is called 'I draw'. Read on!

I draw

I draw
because I want to show the world what I see
I draw
because I want to tell them a story
I draw
because I want to influence people, make a difference
I draw
because it helps me see
things I never saw before
I draw
because it helps me travel
into the depths of my own imagination
I draw
because I'm just listening to the world
talking to me
I draw
because it gives me an awkward
sense of relief
I draw
because it helps me understand who I am
I draw
because I'm fighting a battle
and my pen is my sword
I draw
because it makes me realize
that no matter who I think I am
compared to the world, I'm as small as a bee
I draw
because it helps me make sense
of things most bizarre
I draw
because I'm struck by a brainwave
I draw
because I'm sure that this idea will be a masterpiece
(perhaps even my magnum opus)
I draw
because that's how I express me

Comments

  1. Wow, you're getting really good at these Zainab! I think this is my favourite of your list poems yet.

    I adore how you've explored the art of drawing in this poem and given an insight into this strange, fantastical world, as you've depicted wonderfully in "into the depths of my own imagination". I almost feel myself being drawn down into this piece as if it's me, striding along through the threshold to the dreamy realm of art... it's making me think of my hobby in an abstract way! xD This here, though: "because I'm fighting a battle and my pen is a sword"... wow, this is so rich in imagery. I can vividly depict the scenarios you've described here! Not to mention, it's striking how you started with "because I want to show the world what I see" and ended with "because that's how I express me". I feel like this poem would be visually beautiful displayed in an actual art piece too... How about that? :) I'm loving your writings Zainab, keep writing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess this one is also MY favorite list poem out of the three I've written yet (though I can't seem to decide which is better: this one or 'Just because we're young')
      I like you're idea of visually displaying it in a painting or a drawing, but it would require a very long piece of paper/ canvas because the poem itself is quite long. :)
      Thanks once again!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is such a lovely poem! My pastime in a totally new way.............this is incredible! This-this is-is-a TOTALLY amazing poem, so beautifully crafted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveee your this poem 👌👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can read more of my poetry here: http://zainabsalmansiddiqui.blogspot.com/search/label/poetry

      Delete

Post a Comment