Poetry dump

So here's more poetry  I wrote over the past few days - I hope you guys aren't sick of my poems( I promise my next post will be a story excerpt, not more poetry!) Some of these poems use techniques/ are based on prompts from this really great course I'm attending at coursera.org.

This poem I wrote in early August, I think:

Priority

I am tired
my eyelids are drooping with sleep
and my brain refuses to cooperate
with me, any longer
every ounce of me demands bedtime

Yet still, there are so many things to
think about,
so many poems to write,
so many paintings to paint,
and so many stories to tell

That going to bed
no longer seems
a priority,
anymore!

*

The ice of time

Time,
an ice block;
melting away - getting
smaller and
smaller
each passing second;
ruthlessly, unceasingly,
unstoppingly,
Gone.

*


Dreams

Shining, glistening, lighting up
the dark. Inspiring
yet distant, as far away as 
the stars

Constellations that 
show the way, Guiding all those 
gone astray,
like stars

I can't afford to buy the spaceship
but I can still afford to watch as they
light up my sky;
like stars


*

Comments

  1. Wow these poems are so inspiring! I love how they're all connected in a way but also very contrasting concepts.
    Quite frankly, the Priority poem made me feel tired for a moment there! xD The way you've written it describes the themes of sleepiness very accurately and seems to have a slow rhythm that rings connotations of bedtime. Not to mention, it reminds me of the phrase, "so many things so little time"!
    The ice of time depicts the concept of time so beautifully and I hadn't thought of it that way before! The rhythms really head towards the end of time with a fleeting yet fascinating beat, pausing abruptly at "Gone".
    Dreams is also a very intriguing one! I adore those bright, vivid descriptions relating to fiery constellations and the twinkling stars lighting up the sky. It makes me think of this aesthetic in a new light! :D (I think I enjoyed reading this one the most although they're all beautifully written! <3)

    Please do keep posting more poems Zainab - I love your poetic style of writing!

    PS Who says you can't keep posting more poetry? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma Shaa Allah, we are not at all sick of your poems

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved your "Priority" poem Zainab! It really catches an aspect of real life!

    With my own words, I'd like to say that your "Time" one is marvoulles! It is extremely powerful! The words make me want to slow down and appreciate the value of time!



    I think your "Dreams" poem had excellent rhyming! I must admit, that this one is probably my favorite! It's just gorgeous! Such amazing words in only 6 verses!

    Overall, all your poems were stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment