Probably an Alien

Ali hungrily chewed on the old piece of yesterday’s bread he was having for lunch. Sweat dripped on his forehead.  “It’s hard work, working in the fields”, he thought desperately as he wiped it with the back of his hand. Finishing the rest of his lunch, he handed  the plate over to his mother who was washing the dishes at the tiny sink of their earthen hut.
Trrring!!! The phone sounded, interrupting Ali from his thoughts.  
“Son”, his mother turned to him. “Can you please get it? I’m busy.” Ali nodded and picked up the receiver of the ancient telephone which sat on a ‘stand’ made of old bricks after checking the number which looked like his friend Bilal’s.
“Hi pal, how’s it goin’?” said the voice at the other end.        
“How’s what going??”asked a puzzled Ali.
 “Come on! You know what I’m talking about!” He heard someone say.
“No, I don’t,” said Ali.
“Oh forget it. It’s useless talking to you anyway.” Said somebody at the other end. “Oh! And you said your dad was going to get you an ‘Apple ‘’??”
“An Apple???” asked Ali. “Oh yeah , he did.”
“So how is it? Did you like it?” said somebody.
“Oh, It was big and red. I liked it.” Replied  Ali, merely confused. “But what’s so big about that?”
“Big? You mean he got you a big Apple tablet?” Ali heard somebody say.
“What apple tablet?” Asked  Ali, still confused. “An apple flavored tablet? The tablet he bought for me when I had the fever? What are you talking about???”
“A tab, ya stupid!”  Said a scornful voice. “Don’t act so dumb.”
“Dumb??”  Asked Ali. I can’t be dumb when I can speak!”
“Forget it, Dumb head. It’s no use talking to you, anyways.”he heard a voice say. “You’re always a waste of time. Bye stupid!!”
Ali heard the call disconnect. Thoughtfully, he put down his own receiver too and pressed the ‘redial’ button. “That’s strange!” He said to himself. “ I must have mistaken it for Bilal’s phone number! It wasn’t his!”
“Ali!”  He heard his mother say. Ali flipped around.
“Yes?”
“Who was he on the phone whom you were talking with?”
“ I don’t know. It was some strange thing” he said as he wore a worn out pair of slippers. “Probably an alien”.


Comments

  1. This story extract is excellent, Zainab!! I love the mystery and suspense in it! I wonder what's going to happen next... can't wait for you to release the next one (if you want to)! Keep up the amazing work! :D Btw, I love the name, Ali! I used it in my story too, lol! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, thanks so much for commenting on my featured project on Scratch! :D Also, I nearly forgot! I was going to tell you, you know on your profile, someone has asked if you want a custom logo? Just so you know, that's actually a really cool opportunity! You can request, and they'll actually make you an awesome, personal logo for you! Just saying in case you didn't understand what it meant - it's your choice whether or not you want one, of course. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for commenting!!
      Oh! Thank you for telling me about the custom logo! I didn't know what it meant! I'll request for one.
      For commenting on your project,Your welcome! Featured projects deserve comments! :D
      And by the way, this is not an extract, it's a full story! I think it's somewhat incomplete, but it's a story itself!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! I enjoy commenting on your posts.
      Oh, no problem! Okay, cool!
      Lol, thanks again! ;D
      Oh! I see, sorry! It's really cool, though. Btw, were you going to add another part of Catnapped, just wondering (if it's not a complete story)? I really enjoyed reading that one too! :D

      Delete
  2. This is such a meaningful and well crafted story. Apple is different for kids living in different parts of the same world. What an idea and what an imagination! Great piece of writing. Please keep on writing fiction, we badly need it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think a story is more effective than an informative and factual piece of writing.

      Delete

Post a Comment