The Interview - Story Part 4/4

So here's the last part to the story! This one is 509 words long, making the story a whopping 2268 words long! (this is the first short story I've written that actually made it to the standard short story length! All my short stories are generally too short, even for a short story!)

Apologies to anyone who I've kept waiting! :)
Click here, here, and here to read Parts 1, 2, and 3.

-----

I felt like I would faint any moment. My head was throbbing with pain from standing out in the scorching heat for so long, my throat was prickly and dry, my shirt was still stained and there were merely nine minutes to go until the interview began. The drive to The Prestige Bank’s Central Branch would easily take fifteen minutes, and that too if the roads were clear, which they would certainly not be at this hour of the day; when majority of the city’s population were commuting to their offices. I sighed. I was defeated, and I knew it.

Out of nowhere, a tear appeared on the corner of my eye. With my head bowed down, I picked myself up and began to walk, lifting my head up only to navigate the staircase. With my pace slower than that of a tortoise, I dawdled over to the staircase and climbed down. Then I headed towards the exit.
I located my bike, walked over to it, then mounted it. My head was still bowed down, in a mixture of shame and grief. My brain buzzed with thoughts and ideas but I ignored it. I didn’t want to think about anything.

My speed remained invariably slow on the drive back home. Even on the deserted Frizex Expressway, I did not speeden up to save time. I felt….numb. As if the energy in my body had somehow been drained out of me. Impatient drivers blared their horns at me, signaling me to increase my speed or move aside to let them go ahead of me, but I did neither, ignoring the angry looks I received from other bikers before they drove ahead of me.

It was almost ten when I reached home. I got off my bike, locked it, then stepped inside the gate. There was no one at home. Abbu* and my two elder brothers were at work, and Ammi** was probably out visiting one of her lady friends in the neighbourhood, I assumed. I went straight into my room and slammed the door shut. Then I walked over to the mirror.

For a long time I just stared at the stain on my shirt. As I glared at it, understanding began to dawn upon me. I realized that the stain wasn’t as big, as repulsive, or as ugly as it had seemed then, nor would it make the Bank’s CEO change his mind about hiring me. It was a stain on my appearance, but that did not change who I was inside. I did not become less capable, less intelligent, or less competent because of it. A stain on my shirt was not a stain on who I was….if it would change people’s opinion about me, that was their problem, not mine.

With this realization, I thrust my hand into my pocket and dug out my cell phone. I decided that I would call the Bank’s General Manager, apologize to him about not being able to come to the interview, and ask if it could be rescheduled.
----
For non-Urdu speakers - translations to Urdu words I have used here:
*Abbu: Father
*Ammi: Mother

Comments

  1. Oh, wow! I'm actually about to post my second part of the short story I've written! It's somewhere the same length as yours. 8D This is such a story (actually, I can't view part of it. I'm just reading the part that I can see) that I want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll check out yours too sometime, what is it about btw?
      I know, there is definitely something wrong with my settings, I'm so sorry you had difficulty reading it! :/ Seems like I'll have to rely on some sort of technical help now...

      Delete
    2. It's the most recent post on my blog. Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Hey wait, it some how moved to the side of your blog and I managed to read the whole story!

      Delete
  2. Wow what an excerpt!! As I read this it gave me such a mix of varying feelings - despair, anticipation and sympathy especially - and I genuinely had no clue which turn this last excerpt would take this time so it was quite a surprise! :D This particular excerpt stands out well from the other three because it's all about succumbing to defeat and feelings of misery. (Not to mention, the cliffhanger from the previous excerpt started this well!) It's such an ironic twist because the story initially opens up with excitement and adrenaline but then slows down to what appears an anticlimax until the story wraps up at the end with a much more optimistic impression! Funny how it all seems quite hectic to begin with but then the moral you've shared with us implies that it does in fact relate to real life - like the question you've implied; why should we really make such a fuss about our appearance? "A stain on my shirt was not a stain on who I was..." is such an inspiring conclusion, I'm impressed! The resolution to the story also ends on a constructive change in course and honestly gave me a sense of relief!
    I've gotten so attached to this story already Zainab! I love the well-developed personalities you have the power to create in such a short amount of time whilst simultaneously juggling with the actual plot itself. Have you ever considered writing a novella or even a novel too? (I'd love to see it come to life in your style if you ever do think of an idea! :D) Another point: I was so fascinated by the concept of this short story itself - it's not at all an overdone or ordinary theme that you'd normally get to read! Where were your inspirations for writing a unique story line and how did you go about planning it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Kenza! :)
      I have attempted to write a novella a couple of times but what I wrote barely crossed the length mark for a short story, lol. I think one reason for this could be that most of my plots are quite simple and the story doesn't need a lot of words to develop itself. But I do hope to write a longer story sometime, when I get an idea that's good enough for one. :D
      I guess this story is somewhat influenced by another story idea I have been working on, for a graphic novel I'm writing (I think I've mentioned it to you once or twice), which is also about an interview. And frankly speaking, I don't usually plan out my stories (in terms of how I would want the beginning, middle and ending to be like, or details about my characters, or anything). I guess that's my nature. But planning out a story can be a good idea! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment